Friday, March 16, 2012

Mark 9:2-13


By Amy Whiting

There is this photo of me from my first birthday – I am sitting in my highchair and there is a huge duck cake in front of me...the cake is almost bigger than I am – and the photo is snapped right at my first reaction – arms flung out and face a mixture of horror/lack of comprehension/wonder.

It happens to us humans – moments where we have never seen/heard anything like it before and we react without thought!

I guess that is Peter right here (and several other times in the gospel record) – he is one of my favourite disciples because he so often speaks or acts without thinking...I love his genuineness – his authenticity – his trying to do the best in understanding a Jesus who constantly surprises him.

I love that in these moments Peter often says or does the “wrong”or “inappropriate”thing.
Yet, Jesus has him as one of his close circle – one of his three.

Us Western Christians sometimes struggle with this aspect of God – he does things that surprise us, that we can’t explain, that puzzle us. In a world where we like to figure things out this can be disconcerting. What do we do with that? How do we deal with a God that won’t be domesticated?

Or is our faith only based around the things we can concretely explain...and ignore the other bits?

Maybe the invitation today is not to be a follower who always has to understand or always respond “correctly”, maybe that’s not what Jesus is really looking for – maybe he is looking for followers who will embrace the challenge of the unexpected, the incomprehensible, who will puzzle and wrestle and not understand all of it...but still stay connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment