Thursday, February 23, 2012

Mark 1:21-28




Recognizing Authority (Mark 1:21-28)

by Liam Cadigan

In our world today roles of authority are usually clearly visible, such as a policeman has his uniform or a Judge and a teacher/principle have a title.

A question I ask is, where does the authority for these roles, titles etc come from? If I get caught speeding, a policeman gives me a ticket because I broke the law, if I stand before a court on trial for theft, I am judged in accordance with the law, or if I argue and refuse to listen to the teacher, I am breaking the class rules. We see an occurring theme of law.

The authority for these roles then lies not on the uniform or title but in what the uniform and title serve, the law. If a Policeman, Judge or teacher is not a faithful servant of the law/rules their authority lacks plausibility.

“the people were amazed at his teaching, because he taught as one who had authority…” Jesus is the fulfillment of the law. God’s perfect, obedient, faithful and righteous Son fulfills Gods perfect law. Hence as Jesus teaches people begin to recognize the breadth and power of his authority. We also see however that Jesus authority is not recognized amongst the seen but also the unseen. The evil spirit knew who Jesus was, he knew his authority and power.




No comments:

Post a Comment